Saturday 4 June 2011

Review: The Fury by L.J. Smith

The Fury by L.J. Smith
(The Vampire Diaries #3)
4 out of 5 stars

Published by HarperCollins
256 pages
This review may contain spoilers for the previous books in the series

Hurray, Elena has finally join the ranks of the undead! And with this she completely loses her awful personality, and gains one that doesn't make you want to slap her. I'm finally liking this series.

The Fury finally has an interesting plot that doesn't involve petty high-school schemes. For those who haven't read this book I can't tell much about it, but there is a nice surprise in this book, that I didn't see coming. A "force" that has been around for about two books finally gets revealed, making for an exciting read with a real story arch.

I even didn't find the love triangle between Elena, Damon and Stefan so annoying any more, because Damon actually shows a bit of his good side in this one. It isn't just bad-boy sexiness that attracts Elena to him, but at vulnerable moments he is being a nice guy. He gets some more personality, showing different sides of himself. This also means that there is less focus on Stefan though, and he is more one-dimensional in this book. Being a total Damon fan myself, this didn't bother me at all. I can imagine though that the team Stefan members will be a bit annoyed with where the story is heading.

This book reads like it's from a completely different series. Elena shows not only compassion, but also a small tad of heroism, and maybe even intelligence. She finally understands being popular is one of her least problems right now, and being Prom Queen even less. Being a vampire has humbled her, and made her a very likeable person and enjoyable character.

I almost feel at loss of words here. About every problem I had with the previous books in the series, is solved now. And here was I expecting to continue my VPD-rant. After reading The Fury, I'm contemplating whether I should watch the TV adaptation. I would love to see what they'd do with this book.

Blurb

Love can kill.

Elena: with Damon at her side, and wild with her craving for blood, the changed Elena struggles to control her desires.

Damon: his hunger for the golden girl wars with his hunger for revenge against Stefan.

Stefan: tormented after losing Elena, he will do anything to get her back. Even if it means becoming what he once despised. . . .

Getting what they want may come at a deadly cost.

Other reviews you might be interested in

4 comments:

Alexa (Alexa Loves Books) said...

I'm totally Team Damon too! I actually like what they've done with the series, though there are still points that I find questionable. But yes, give it a try!
I must say, The Fury is when I really started liking TVD. The first two I liked well enough, but this was what made me want to keep reading.

CelineNyx said...

This was probably my favourite in the series - I stopped after book four. I'm hearing from a lot of people that the TV show is pretty good, so when I'm done with watching The Big Bang Theory I think I'll watch it for a bit (:

Alexa (Alexa Loves Books) said...

I love TBBT! I think it's one of the funniest shows :) but yes, do try TVD! It's a lot better than I expected it to be :)
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

CelineNyx said...

Haha, definitely! I'm in love with the geeky humour. Well, I'm looking forward to start it then (:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: